Welcome to Dalemain
"We love Dalemain as our home, it is a very special house with an extraordinarily warm and welcoming atmosphere, and it is our pleasure to share it with the many visitors and friends who chance upon it."
Robert and Jane Hasell-McCosh
Dalemain has been the home of the Hasell-McCosh Family for eleven generations. Here, visitors can discover and enjoy four centuries of history, 5 acres of celebrated gardens, historic parkland and home-made food served in the Mediaeval Hall Tearoom. Home to 'The World's Original Marmalade Awards & Festival' held at Dalemain annually in March.
Click here to view Dalemain's 2014 Visitor Leaflet.
News & Events at Dalemain in July
DALEMAIN BLUE POPPY AWARDED 'RHS AWARD OF GARDEN MERIT'
- Dalemain is delighted to announce that Meconopsis Dalemain has been awarded an ‘RHS Award of Garden Merit’ for the famous Blue Himalayan Blue Poppy (meconopsis Dalemain) after extensive trials at the RHS.
SUMMER NEWS AT DALEMAIN - Plants, Marmalades & Country House Produce
- The Dalemain Plant Stall: There are old fashioned roses for sale & lots of new plants from the historic gardens and it's the perfect time to be looking for extra plants! Why not pop to Dalemain to buy a plant? FREE access and parking to the Plant Stall and Tearoom. Open 10.30am to 5pm - Sunday to Thursday.
- We have extended 'The Dalemain Country House Produce Range' - Delicious, home-cooked, home-frozen foods to include puddings, cakes, marmalades & chutneys. Dalemain Country House Produce is prepared here at Dalemain and is Ideal for family dinners, dinner parties & self catering accomodation. Just defrost, re-heat & enjoy! Available in single, 2 or 4 serving portions.
- The World's Original Marmalade Awards 2014 - Double Gold & Gold Artisan Winning marmalades are now available at Dalemain and on our new shop website - please click on the 'Shop' tab on this page. The only shop in the world selling the World's Best Marmalades!
- LIMTED EDITION: The World's Original Double Gold Home-made marmalade 'Sarah Byrne's Marmalade' is now available to buy at Dalemain and Fortnum & Mason for one year only. 50p from each jar sold goes back to charity.
- NEW - KITCHEN GARDEN RANGE OF MARMALADES CO-BRANDED WITH FORTNUM & MASON, LONDON.
Lemon with Rose Petal, Kitchen Garden and Sweet Orange & Apricot. Please click on shop for full details.
Summer Opening Times 2014
The Historic House & Gardens officially opened for the Summer Season on Sunday 6th April 2014 until Thursday 30th October 2014. OPEN: Sunday to Thursday. CLOSED Friday & Saturday.
- Gardens Tea Room & Gift Shop: 10.30am – 5pm (4pm in October)
- House Opens 11.15am for guided tour
- House Opens for free flow 11.45am
- PLEASE NOTE: THE HOUSE CLOSES FOR LUNCH BETWEEN 1.00 & 1.30PM.
- House Closes 4pm (3pm in October) but the Gardens and Tea Room are still open until 5.00pm (4pm in October).
We look forward to seeing you soon.
NEW EVENT - THE LAKES CHILLI FESTIVAL 2014 - Sat 2nd & Sun 3rd Aug - 10am to 6pm both days
BRINGING THE HEAT BACK TO THE LAKES!
The Lakes Chilli Fest is back! Come and get involved with over 80 producers offering the tastiest & spiciest chilli products, real ale producers, first class entertainment and exciting challenges.
'A Carnival of food & fun at the North West's Biggest Chilli Festival.'
The fun starts at 10am & finishes at 6pm Saturday and Sunday. FREE entry for Children under 16. Dogs Welcome at the festival only. Highlights include: International Street Food Area, ENTERTAINMENT with Live Bands, DJ's, Fully Licensed Bars bringing you real ales, ciders, cocktails & pimms. Free entry to Dalemain Gardens included in your Festival ticket. A GREAT DAY OUT FOR ALL THE FAMILY! We look forwarding to seeing you!
Early Bird Advance Purchase Daily tickets only £4.50 Limited numbers so hurry! £7 each when the early bird allocation runs out and £7 on the day. DALEMAIN GARDENS ARE INCLUDED IN THE FESTIVAL TICKET PRICE with a special offer of an upgrade to the Mansion at £4 each Children FREE
DALEMAIN MANSION & HISTORIC GARDENS ARE OPEN SAT 2ND & SUN 3RD AUGUST 10.30AM TO 5PM.
WELCOME to Dalemain Mansion & Historic Gardens - Spring & Summer Opening times
The Historic House & Gardens officially opened for the Summer Season on Sunday 6th April 2014. We are open Sunday to Thursday 10.30am to 5pm.
PENRITH REMEMBERS 1914 - 1918
Penrith Remembers Launches The Centenary Programme of the Commemoration of the World War 1 at Dalemain
Dalemain Wins HHA/Christie's Prestigious Garden of the Year Award 2013
The charming English gardens of Dalemain, nestled in the Lake District, have won the 2013 Garden of the Year Award sponsored by the Historic Houses Association and Christie’s. This prestigious national award, now in its 29th year, is designed to recognise the importance of gardens with outstanding horticultural and public appeal, either in their own right or as the setting for an historic house.
Dalemain wins prestigious Heritage Award for best event 2012
Dalemain has been presented with a prestigious Hudson’s Heritage Award for Best Event 2012 - The World’s Original Marmalade Awards & Festival.