Virgin Trains West Coast Marmalade Line
We are thrilled to announce that Virgin Trains will be zesting up the West Coast Main Line to give it orange a-peel with a series of Drop-Off points!
For one week, Virgin Trains is creating the West Coast Marmalade Line along the west coast to help deliver jars of marmalade to Penrith – home of the World’s Original Marmalade Awards.
The West Coast Marmalade Line provides seven drop-off points at stations on the west coast for marmalade entries. For every jar submitted, a donation is made towards the awards’ charity partners – Hospice at Home and Marie Curie in Scotland. To date the Marmalade Awards & Festival has raised nearly £200,000 for charity.
Once collected, the jars of marmalade will be transported by a Virgin Trains Pendolino to Penrith station, where they will be collected by Paddington Bear and taken to Dalemain Mansion to be judged. This is the first time in the history of the Marmalade Awards that entries will arrive into Penrith by train – offering those entering the awards an alternative to posting their marmalade.
From Thursday 2nd to Thursday 9th February Virgin Trains will accept entries for the Marmalade Awards at the following stations:
- Glasgow Central
- London Euston
This is the second year Virgin Trains has supported the World’s Original Marmalade Awards, which take place at Dalemain Mansion, located a few miles from Penrith station.
As with last year, Virgin Trains will rename Penrith station ‘Penrith, MarmaLake District’ for the weekend of the Dalemain Marmalade Festival, which displays the winning marmalades.
Anna Doran, General Manager at Virgin Trains on the west coast, said: “At Virgin Trains we care about the local communities we serve. We’re delighted to play a part in this year’s Marmalade Awards and continue our support for Cumbria, as well as Hospice at Home, which helps so many people in the region. Entries for the awards come from far and wide and the West Coast Marmalade Line will ensure that potential prize-winning marmalades are preserved and delivered safely to Penrith.”
Jane Hasell-McCosh, founder of the Dalemain Marmalade Awards, said: “We are so pleased that Virgin Trains is supporting the World’s Original Marmalade Awards in this way. Many of the people who enter the Awards find that postage limits the amount of marmalade they can send, so by creating the West Coast Marmalade Line, Virgin Trains is helping communities all over England to get involved in the competition and together we can raise even more money for hospice charities in the UK.”
Opening times and locations of the Drop off Points are:
- Carlisle Booking Office (05:00 – 20:00 Monday – Saturday; 09:00 – 08:00 Sunday)
- Crewe Booking Office (05:30 – 08:30 Monday – Saturday; 08:10 – 20:30 Sunday)
- Lancaster Waiting Room on Platform 4 (05:00 – 23:00 Monday – Saturday; 09:30 – 22:00 Sunday)
- Penrith Customer Information Point – Waiting Room on Platform 1 (05:30 – 19:00 Monday – Saturday; 11:30 – 19:00 Sunday)
- Preston Booking Office (05:45 – 22:00 Monday – Friday; 04:45 – 21:00 Saturday; 08:00 – 22:00 Sunday)
- Virgin Trains First Class Lounge at Glasgow Central Station (07:00 – 19:00 Monday – Friday; 07:00 – 18:00 Saturday; 10:00 – 17:40 Sunday)
- Virgin Trains First Class Lounge at London Euston Station (07:00 – 23:00 Monday – Friday; 07:00 – 20:00 Saturday; 10:00 – 11:00 Sunday)